Table of Contents
55 Inspiring Sports Quotes for Competitive Families
Families in sports are unique. They spend their entire lives driving to numerous practices and games, so they are familiar with heartbreaking losses, incredible victories, and living in their car. Use these sports quotes to encourage and support your child if they participate in youth sports, or use them as a reminder to yourself that all the sacrifices your family makes so they can play a game they love are well worth it.
Inspirational Sports Quotes to Motivate Your Players
All players need a little inspiration every now and again. Use these motivational quotes to get your player’s head in the game.
- Train as if every practice was the championship game.
- In sports, you can do anything you want, except give up.
- Families certainly pay a price to support their child’s sports dreams, but the end result is often priceless.
- If you are having fun, then you are winning.
- When you have nothing left to give the game, dig deeper.
- When you don’t believe you can do it, your family will believe for you.
- The fight lives within you. Nothing and no one can take it away.
- I don’t know what is past the stars, but reach for it.
- To soar, you must do two things: have the courage to spread your wings, and release the weights holding you down.
- You were given an incredible talent. Don’t waste it. Lean into it, feed it, give thanks for it.
Famous Sports Quotes From the Greatest in the Game
No one knows sports like these famous giants. These iconic sports quotes will resonate with any player and their family.
- “Sport doesn’t build character; it reveals character.” – Mav Levy
- “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” – Billie Jean King
- “It does not matter how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
- “Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.” – Arnold Palmer
- “One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than 50 preaching it.” – Knute Rockne
- “To uncover your true potential, you must first find your own limits, and then you have to have the courage to blow past them.” – Picabo Street
- “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
- “A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” – Mary Lou Retton
- “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
Funny Quotes About Sports That Are So Relatable to Families
It’s crazy what a sports family will do for their player! These sports quotes will make every player’s family giggle and say, “Yup, us too!”
- You can have a life, or your kid can play sports, but you can’t have both.
- Sunday is family day, said no football-loving family EVER.
- Some families celebrate birthdays and holidays. This family’s religion is sports, and we celebrate game day like others celebrate Christmas or Easter.
- Sideline cheerleaders are not necessary when there are moms in the stands.
- Sports families are inspired by the game and run by a myriad of calendars and schedules.
- Behind every great player is a mom who yelled, “Get in the car,” every day of that player’s youth.
- Thank your family at every game. Your hobby became their entire social life.
- Things every sports parent wishes for: their child’s happiness, the team’s growth, and a Saturday off from games.
- If your parent asked what happened in the game, know that they didn’t miss the big moments for lack of attention. They were probably just covering their eyes.
- If you ever question your parent’s love for you, count up the hours they spent sitting in their car while you practiced a sport. Never question their love and devotion again.
Sports Quotes to Soften a Hard Loss
It’s hard to watch your kid take a loss. Remind them that losing is part of the game and the journey with one of these sports quotes.
- Your family feels a loss right along with you.
- Even when a loss stings deeply, know your family will be right there to ease the pain.
- Think of every loss as a stepping stone to later wins.
- Even when you lose a tough game, you are still a champion in your family’s eyes.
- A loss is never the end of the world; giving up is.
- Hold your head high in the face of defeat.
- A loss is only a small chapter in your story. Keep writing.
- No one knows the pain of a loss like a goalie’s parent.
- Whoever or whatever made you feel like you couldn’t do it lied to you.
- The score might reflect a loss, but if you tried your best, love your sport, and had fun, then it was definitely a win.
Sports Quotes to Help Foster Good Sportsmanship
- Victories build champions; defeat builds character.
- A good sportsman knows that a win is worth nothing if there isn’t respect at the foundation.
- The score doesn’t determine a winner or a loser, the players’ attitudes do.
- Win or lose, you can always choose your response to both.
- In sports, attitude comes first, talent second.
- Training works your physical muscles. Showing good sportsmanship in the face of defeat works your emotional muscles.
- You might feel bad about a loss, but you will never feel bad about showing good sportsmanship.
Sports Quotes on Teamwork
- When the team’s heart beats as one, anything is possible.
- Celebrate your teammates; you didn’t win that game by yourself.
- Lead your team with humility, grace, and respect, and it will reward you with riches beyond a win.
- Teamwork is the foundation of life; whether your team is in sports or at home, everyone rises as one or falls as one.
- When everyone plays for each other, good teams become great teams.
- Winning with a team builds records. Losing with a team builds the actual team.
- The team is everything. They make the wins sweeter and the losses bearable.